Ok… let’s talk desert island. What would be the one food item you wouldn’t live without? The one tasty bite that you could eat every day… if you were stuck on a desert island. I’m not talking about nutrition, health or availability. For me, it would have to be bacon, preferably guanciale, but any old crispy slab would do me just fine.
A few months ago my good friend Bob sent me a link to the NotMartha website, that featured a recipe for delicious looking bacon cups. In the original recipe the cups were formed using upside down cupcake molds. Of course I wanted them bigger and bolder so I built a mold out of ramikens and foil. The edible art was large enough to hold a salad and homemade Manchego fricos!
Recipe & “how to” photos below. Enjoy!
1. Preheat oven to 400
2. 5 slices of regular bacon each
3. Form the uncooked bacon around the mold (see photos)
4. Place in a pan (deep enough to catch grease)
5. Cook until just brown and crispy (turning pan once)
6. Allow to cool for a few minutes
7. Gently remove bacon bowl and continue to cool
8. Fill with salad or more bacon!
The original bacon cups on NotMartha